Tuesday 31 January 2012

Memory-board

My nieces their birthdays are short after each other, just before the holidays and close to many other family birthdays. You get the point…it’s always a hassle to find something spectacular for them AND to be sure you will be the only one showing up with that one present. So me and my hubby had the thoughts of taking the girls out on a shopping spree in stead. They could make their own choice of new clothes (we had to direct them every now and than though) and they love to have a “day out” like this. How to give a present like this? It shouldn’t be a dull card saying what their present would be, it should be more spectacular. So this is what I did:
I went to a cheap shop and bought 2 stretched on wood painting-canvas. I had some nice bright colour cotton left, enough to cover both of these canvasses. The cotton was stapled together on the back site against the wooden frame. Be sure you pull the cotton really tight over the edges.  Now the real fun starts, putting lace, elastic and ribbon forth and back all over the board. I have done one vertical, 3 horizontal and 3 crossed over the board. Than I hand stitched the places where the ribbons met each other by just 3 or 4 little stitches through the canvas as well.

Like this the board can be used by putting thing behind the ribbons. It will stay in place because of these stitches. It’s good for little paper notes, cinema tickets, letters, photo’s etc etc. To finish the board I have put a few buttons on it, a few mini clothes pins and hand-made lace and silk flowers.
The board was finished; we printed a nice picture of each of the nieces and put this on one of the boards. Now it was sure which board was who’s. We made a nice printed invitation for the shopping spree and attached this to the board as well. One of my nieces said it was the best gift they had that day…. and it was hand made! ... This makes me feel really happy, I am sure I haven’t spend a day in my studio for nothing ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment